The McCaughey family already had one baby when they decided to have one more. But because of some health issues, they couldn’t have another baby naturally. So, they decided to try a different way.
They had a special medical procedure where they put 7 tiny babies inside the mom, just like they do for everyone who gets this kind of help. Usually, only one baby survives, but in this case, all seven babies survived.
These babies were born in 1997, and it was a real miracle. They were very small, only about one and a half kilograms each. Unfortunately, two of them had a condition called cerebral palsy, but they had surgeries and learned to walk.
Their story became really famous, and people started sending them money because they didn’t have enough to take care of all these babies. They got lots of donations, including clothes and toys. Even the President of the United States helped them out.
Soon, they got a big house as a gift, and they didn’t have to worry about buying food because it was given to them for free. Many universities were eager to have the babies attend their schools when they grew up.
Now, 24 years later, let’s see what they’re up to:
1. Natalie wants to be an elementary school teacher, and she graduated with top grades.
2. Brandon wants to join the army.
3. Kelsey, who was born very small, dreams of becoming a singer. She sings in her school choir.
4. Kenny is studying civil engineering at a community college because he’s always wanted to be a builder.
5. Alexis was born with cerebral palsy, but she wants to be a teacher. She uses a special device to help her walk and is the second captain of the cheerleading team.
6. Nathan also had cerebral palsy but dreams of becoming a scientist. He’s studying computer science at Hannibal-LaGrange University.
7. Joel, the youngest, wants to study informatics and has already been accepted to Hannibal-LaGrange University.
The mom said she felt a bit lonely after her children left home because she didn’t know how to fill her time without them.
Kelsey McCaughey is really proud of her children and loves them endlessly. They’re excited about the future and can’t wait to become grandparents someday.